An onboarding email sequence is used to give new paying customers the best possible experience right after purchasing a product. The goal is the get the new customer familiar with the product quickly and help them get the best results (so that they will stay a paying customer). It is important to get the customers to realise the value of the product. Once they do, this is called the “AHA” moment. Most onboarding email sequences focus on getting the customer towards the “AHA” moment. An onboarding email sequence can contain emails that describe the core features and help customers install and use them. These are usually the same for all new customers. However, many businesses also send triggered emails based on user actions. For example, if a user uploads a video on Vimeo.com the user will receive a notification once the new video is available online. This gets the customer to continue on their video marketing journey and makes sure Vimeo stays top of mind with the customer.
Giving your customers a memorable onboarding experience tells them that they made the right decision and helps you retain them. Anything short of this will spell doom – you’ll see why in a bit.
There are 2 major reasons for customer churn:
- 1) First, customers find it hard to understand your product or service.
- 2) Secondly, your customers didn’t get value for their money.
- Customer onboarding takes care of these two problems.
Your onboarding email sequence sets the stage for your relationship with your customers. It significantly boosts your customer lifetime value (LTV).
Here are a few more reasons to use onboarding email sequence:
- 1) Between 40 and 60% of your free trial user will only use your product/service once and never return.
- 2) You will lose up to 75% of your first time users within the first week.
- 3) Customer retention helps to reduce cost of customer acquisition and boosts revenue.
- 4) Most referrals come from excited customers and majority of your revenue will come from existing customers.
Here you are presented with an opportunity to improve your onboarding emails by virtually picking the brains of seasoned marketers.
Go on, Join Emaildrips today and and get access to our premium library with examples of the worlds best email drips, funnels and ads.